WILLS AND BEQUESTS
Writing your will puts you in control and gives you power - power to provide for your loved ones as you see fit, power to ease the transition of your death, and power to create a lasting legacy to the community that will continue to provide support for the future.
Gifts made in a will are known as bequests. These bequests are vitally important for Crossroads Hospice Society to continue to provide end-of-life care to people living with a terminal illness.
Benefits of a bequest to Crossroads Hospice Society
The following are examples of bequests, with the appropriate wording.
- Your current standard of living will not change.
- When you die, your estate is entitled to a donation receipt for the full value of your gift. This is a significant tax credit on your final tax return
- You can direct your bequest to a specific purpose, or you can request that your gift be used where it is most needed.
Sample Will Wording
We strongly encourage you to consult with your own legal and financial advisors before making any kind of planned gift to Crossroads Hospice Society.
- General bequest, where you leave a specific amount or percentage of your estate to the Society "I direct my trustees to deliver, pay or transfer ___ percent (or $ ________) of my estate to Crossroads Hospice Society."
- Residual bequest, where Crossroads Hospice Society will receive the remainder of your estate after expenses, debts and taxes have been paid and loved ones provided for "I direct my trustees to deliver, pay, or transfer the residue of my estate to Crossroads Hospice Society."
- Contingent bequest, where all or a portion of your estate is left to Crossroads Hospice Society only under certain conditions "Upon the death of __________, to pay the residue of my estate (or $_____) to Crossroads Hospice Society."
To request a detailed information package, please contact our Development Officer at 604-945-0606 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the phrase "Planned Giving: Request Information Package" in the Subject line.
Charitable Registration Number: 894850635 RR0001
Charity Number: 89458 0635 RR0001